The University of Newcastle offers a number of postgraduate research scholarships to support international research candidates.The Department of Immigration, Industries, Science and Research (DIISR) of the Australian Government offers International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS) to support international students in high quality research programs at Australian universities
University of Newcastle
Application is open to students from all countries with the exception of Australian and New Zealand citizens or Australian permanent residents.
These scholarships cover the full tuition fee and medical insurance for a period of two years for a Master’s degree and three years for a Doctoral degree. Recipients of an IPRS will also be awarded a University of Newcastle Research Scholarship which provides a living allowance ($22,860 p.a. in 2011), a relocation allowance and a thesis allowance.
Three years for a PhD degree and two years for a Master’s degree, less any previous tenure towards a research higher degree at the same level.
Applicants must meet eligibility requirements before the closing date and must have an offer of admission to a research higher degree. Applicants for all schemes must have completed at least four years of undergraduate study and have attained Honours Class 1 or equivalent.
Applicants whose first language is not English must submit evidence of attaining:
• TOEFL score of at least 575 (minimum score of 4.5 in the TWE) – paper based test. Computer based test requires score of at least 232 (minimum score of 4.5 Essay Rating);
• IELTS score of at least 6.5 with no individual subtest score less than 6.
Note that applicants are not eligible for:
• Support for a research Master degree if they already hold a research Master degree or equivalent;
• Support from any RHD scholarship if they already hold a research Doctoral degree or equivalent;
• UNRS if they have previously held an equivalent scholarship for six months or more, for the same award.
Please note that any student who has already commenced a research higher degree in Australia and has been previously considered for IPRS is not eligible to re-apply for this scholarship.
Closing date: 31 August each year.
To apply please click here