The Graduate Internship Scheme (GIS) was launched in October, 2012 to create opportunity for graduates to be attached to firms /organizations, where they can work for a year and enjoy a monthly stipend of N18,000. Such interns can use the opportunity to gain working experience and enhance their employability.
The project has commenced registration of such firms and over 84,000 beneficiaries have been registered. This is beyond the threshold of 50,000 allotted for the scheme in any given year. Deployment of such beneficiaries has commenced.
For more info:click here
It is funded by the Federal Government of Nigeria through the Federal Ministry of Finance.
To register as a graduate for this scheme you will need to:
• Be a citizen of Nigeria (must provide a valid ID)
• Be between ages 18 – 40 years (must provide birth certificate)
• Have completed the mandatory NYSC or present an exemption letter.
• Be holder of a degree equivalent (e.g. BSc, BEng, BA, HND etc.) certificate or higher qualification.
• Have a recent passport type photo ready to be uploaded during online registration. Please note size of image must not exceed 99kb.
• Make available ALL original documents for sighting at point of selection.
Citizens of Nigeria ONLY
All firms/organizations in Nigeria are eligible – 84,000 firms/organizations have so far been registered for this year, irrespective of the fact that there is a cap of 50,000 firms/organizations per year.
Fields of Study
All fields of study are eligible
Number of awards
Not specified, but several thousands of applicants will be awarded in any given year
Sponsorship durationOne (1) year work duration for each successful applicant
Scholarship benefitsAll successful applicants enjoy a monthly stipend of N18,000 from the Federal Government of Nigeria, irrespective of the firm/organization or location in Nigeria where he/she is doing the internship. Interns also gain working experience and enhance their post-internship employability.
For interested firms/organizations to register as an employer for this scheme you will need to:
• Be registered with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) and other relevant organisations
• Provide evidence of VAT Registration and the latest Tax Clearance Certificate.
• Be prepared to provide a mentoring plan for each intern within 30 days of their start.
• Be able to employ interns for a period of one (1) year.
There is no specific deadline that has been set at this time by the Federal Government of Nigeria
To apply, click here