The University of Amsterdam aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.
course of study:
Any Master’s Degree programme offered at the University
Number of Scholarships:
Outstanding students from outside the EU/European Economic Area
The scholarship consists of € 6,000, € 9,000 or € 12,000, but awards are based on the comprehensive financial plan, which should demonstrate the extent of the need for additional funding. Please note that the scholarship cannot be used as a (partial) tuition waiver. The applicant must still pay the full amount of tuition due. Scholarship holders will receive their grant in monthly instalments.
Candidates wishing to take part in the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship programme must meet the following requirements:
• Hold a non-EU/EEA passport and not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (“Studiefinanciering”; for more information please refer to: http://www.DUO.nl). The scholarship office should be notified as soon as possible of any change in nationality, type of residence permit, and/or possible “Studiefinanciering” support, throughout the academic year.
• Be fully admitted to a degree programme at the University of Amsterdam which is registered at the Central Register of Higher Education Programme
• For more information about general application requirements, please consult the individual programme descriptions at http://www.uva.nl/international for study programmes taught in English.
• Scholarship continuation is not guaranteed when a candidate changes his or her degree programme.
• Be admitted to a Bachelor’s or Master’s programme at the University of Amsterdam for the first time. AMS will not be awarded to candidates who are admitted for a second Bachelor’s or Master’s programme at the University of Amsterdam.
• Be able to comply with Dutch visa regulations (follow the link to the IND website below).
• Be enrolled at the UvA as full-time student for the academic year and the programme for which the scholarship is awarded.
• The candidate should not receive a full coverage scholarship for the same period of study as the AMS scholarship. Notify the scholarships office when another full scholarship has been awarded and accepted.
• Scholarship continuation for subsequent year(s) of study depends upon satisfactory study progress. The programme you will be enrolled in, as it depends on the curriculum and rules and regulations of the department, sets the standard for satisfactory progress, and the time and manner in which progress will be measured. Please be advised that you are expected to gain approximately 80% of credits in any one year.
The faculties and international schools award scholarships themselves; as such, regulations may vary. Students interested in an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship may contact the faculty or international school offering the study programme of their choice for more information. You must have been fully admitted to a degree program at the University before you can be considered for this scholarship.
Applications for an AMS scholarship should be submitted before 1 April when enrolling in September. For students wishing to start their studies in February, the deadline is 1 August.
To apply, click here