The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited (Operator of the NNPC/SHELL/TEPN/AGIP Joint Venture) Scholarship Scheme offers first year students in all Nigerian universities the opportunity to study with an annual grant from the SPDC Joint Venture for the full duration of their course. Launched in 1960, this post-secondary scheme is open to all Nigerians studying degree programmes in Nigerian universities. The programme aims to promote academic excellence and improve skills-base among young Nigerians.
The scholarship is offered in two categories – the National Merit Award (NM) and the Areas of Operation Merit Award, East or West (OE or OW).
Eligibility (Who can apply?)General requirements for all applicants:
• Students must be citizens of Nigeria,
• Currently enrolled in a first degree programme at an accredited and approved university in Nigeria, and
• Must have gained admission during the 2012/2013 academic session.
To be eligible to apply for any of the categories, the following must apply:
1. National Merit Award (NM)Open to Nigerians who are not indigenes of SPDC’s operational areas (in Abia, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Delta, Imo and Rivers States). Applications must be sent in writing using the format below only and sent in an envelope clearly marked 2012/2013 NM Application.
2a. Areas of Operation Merit Award, East (OE)For Nigerians who are indigenes of SPDC’s operational areas in Abia, Akwa Ibom, Imo, Rivers and Bayelsa states (excluding indigenes of Ekeremor and Sagbama local government areas). Applications must be sent in writing using the format below only and sent in an envelope clearly marked 2012/2013 OE Application.
2b. Areas of Operation Merit Award, West (OW)For Nigerians who are indigenes of SPDC’s operational area in Delta and Bayelsa (from Ekeremor and Sagbama Local Government Areas) States. Applications must be sent in writing using the format below only and sent in an envelope clearly marked 2012/2013 OW Application.
Eligible groupsCitizens of Nigeria (studying degree programmes in Nigerian universities)
Participating InstitutionsAll accredited Nigerian universities and institutions of higher learning
Fields of studyAny course of study offered at any of the Nigerian universities
Number of awardsSeveral – but specific number not specified by provider
Sponsorship durationFor the complete and full duration of the successful applicant’s course
Scholarship benefitsOpportunity to study with an annual grant for the full duration of your course
Method of ApplicationAll applicants should have their personal valid email accounts (for consistent communication).
Candidates who meet the above entry qualifications should apply online, at http://www.shellnigeria.com to provide required personal and educational details, and upload scanned copies of the following:
1. A recent passport-sized photograph of the applicant (i.e. jpeg format, that is not more than 200kilobytes);
2. University or JAMB (UTME or D/E) Admission Letter;
3. Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UTME) Scores;
4. ‘O’ Level Result(s); and ‘A’ Level /OND /NCE Result(s) as applicable; and
5. Letter of Identification from State (showing Local Government) of Origin.
Applicants for the Operational Area Awards (OE & OW) are to provide scanned copies of identification letters (duly stamped and signed) from;
• The Paramount Ruler of the Community; and
• The Chairman of the Community Development or Executive Council (CDC or CEC).
DEADLINES:Application Submission Deadline is Friday 30th September, 2013.
PLEASE NOTE:-SPDC does not demand payment from applicants. The application is entirely FREE of charge.
SPDC does not assign ‘Representatives’ / ‘Agents’ to assist applicants’ process applications.
SPDC’s scholarship programmes are as advertised in national newspapers and on the company website http://www.shellnigeria.com wherein prospective candidates are advised on the medium of submission of applications. These applications are then processed by SPDC and the outcome communicated directly to the candidates.Only short listed candidates will be contacted, by e-mail.
Please be guided accordingly
ContactTo apply to the Shell SPDC University Scholarship Scheme, please see ‘Method of Application’ above and follow instructions as directed.
For General Enquires on SPDC Scholarships, contact:
The Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) of Nigeria Ltd
PMB 2418, Lagos. Nigeria
Tel: +234 1 2769999
To apply, click here